We have seen a recent rise in motorbike thefts in the Basingstoke area.
An unsecured motorcycle, scooter or moped is an easy target for thieves as they are relatively lightweight and can be wheeled away and lifted into a waiting vehicle.
Below are useful tips on how to keep your motorbike, scooter or moped safe from thieves.
· If your motorbike or scooter doesn’t already have one, get a Thatcham or Sold Secure approved electronic immobiliser professionally fitted.
· Secure your motorbike to a solid object that can’t be moved.
· Audible alarms should be used where possible as this will generate more attention than the thief wants.
· Always put a steering lock on.
· When you are not using your motorbike or scooter, put it in a garage or a secure outbuilding with a fixed or ground anchor to secure it to inside the building.
· Don’t leave your garage open and make sure your vehicle is covered up, even when you are at home.
· Use tamper proof screws to secure your motorcycle number plate. These screws will prevent number plates from being stolen which are used on stolen vehicles to commit crime.
· Use a motorcycle chain, disc lock or cable and lock. Thread the chain through your frame, as many vehicles are stolen for parts.
· These should be secured to an immovable object (such as security loops or bars), which will provide a difficult barrier for the thieves to break through.
· Pay for the best quality you can afford and wherever possible choose Police Approved ‘Sold Secure’ gold standard products.
· Whenever possible, avoid leaving your helmet or other accessories on your motorbike or scooter or in a luggage space on panniers.
· If you are parking your bike, leave your seat open so that thieves do not break the seat lock if they target your vehicle and search for items to steal.
· Use a parking space built specially for motorbikes or scooters. They will have stands or security loops.
· Look for one that has achieved the police approved safer parking award-Park Mark. Find out more at: www.parkmark.co.uk
· Marking individual parts of your bike makes it more difficult to sell on. It can also help police officers trace and return your bike if it is stolen.
· This is simple to do with forensic security marking kits. Choose 'Secured by Design' approved forensic marking products.